l3ianca

fluff

I find my crack with second-chance romances and angst-filled stories. Most preferably, always with sense.
If Forever Comes (Take This Regret, #2) - A.L. Jackson Liked it but didn't love it.

I was so excited for [b:If Forever Comes|17859033|If Forever Comes (Take This Regret, #2)|A.L. Jackson|http://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1371798895s/17859033.jpg|25001549] when I found out [b:Take This Regret|11784281|Take This Regret (Take This Regret, #1)|A.L. Jackson|http://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1347389725s/11784281.jpg|16736232] has a sequel. I guess I expected so much because Take This Regret cut me to the core, and it's certainly one of the best heartbreak-from-books that I keep remembering.

If Forever Comes, on the other hand, is filled with so much pain. 80% of this book is filled with different descriptions of the sorrow our characters are going through. Don't get me wrong; I'm all for angst, but when a book throws so much heartbreak at me, I expect it to make up for it with loads of cuteness and happiness, preferably with rainbows and unicorns. If Forever Comes fell short on that and instead of uplifting me when things come to a head, it gave me a single conversation and fast-forwarded to my HEA. And I'm all for HEA too, but I need to see that it was deserved when people work for it, not when they have suffered enough. I just think it was too anticlimactic.

What I liked about it and what saved this book for me was the reality it portrayed. When I finished the book I thought, well it wasn't that bad, I guess that's what real people go through. I love the drama in my fiction but in reality, we don't always have grand gestures and perfectly scripted lines. We don't always get to recognize one true love. We don't always reach our happy endings by pouring out our hearts every single day, just to satisfy ourselves by thinking we've said and done enough. More often than not, real people reach their HEA by going through the motions one day at a time. That's what Christian and Elizabeth did. Unfortunately that reality can be boring when translated in books, so [a:AL Jackson|5784542|A.L. Jackson|http://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/authors/1332905653p2/5784542.jpg] cut through the chase and presented to us our happy ending, without showing how the loose ends were tied up and triple-knotted to perfection.

Well while I like some sense of reality in my fiction, heartbreak, grand gestures and scripted words make up the formula for me to fall for a book hook, line and sinker. If Forever Comes only came up with one of those components and for that it receives 3 stars from me, meaning exactly as Goodreads say: not amazing, not really liked it, but liked it enough.